Categories and subcategories don't necessarily have to be used to display a list of products. You can also use them to display a website article or custom text, giving you a simple way to create a page containing custom content on your storefront.
Let's say you need to convey specific shipping information to your customers about custom freight shipping rates you offer, and you want to provide a link to this information on every page of your storefront. You can create a category to provide a link in the navigation menu to this information, as follows:
- In your Admin Area, go to Inventory > Categories and click Add.
- Complete the Basic Category Info as you normally would.
- Under Advanced Settings, leave all settings as default except Search Engine Optimization, which should be completed as usual.
- In the Category Descriptions section, in the field marked, Category Description, enter the text or HTML that should be displayed to customers when they click on this link. There are multiple techniques that can be used here. You can use the HTML Editor to quickly put together some HTML to display a table full of data you wish to display, or you can enter text or an HTML image link to display an image or PDF file.
- When you're finished, click Save.
The new category will now be a clickable link within the appropriate menu. When a visitor clicks on the link, the category page will be displayed showing the custom text, images, or HTML created in the above steps.