According to Tom Petty, “the waiting is the hardest part.” When it comes to a product that’s on backorder, we’re with him. While it’s great for merchants to sell out of products (ka-ching 💰), it can create some disappointment and frustration for your shoppers 😞. The good news is that you can let them down easy by allowing them to place a backorder that will ship as soon as the product is available.
Checking Default Backorder Functionality
Your store allows your customers to place backorders by default. To verify this is enabled:
- Go to Settings > Config Variables > Search
- In the Name field, enter "back orders" and click the blue Search button
- Make sure the Value column of the Enable Back Orders row is selected
- Click Save
Disabling Backorder Functionality
Sometimes once a good thing is gone, it’s gone. If a particular product isn't going to come back in stock, you’ll want to exempt it from our backorder functionality. Here’s how:
- Go to Inventory > Products
- Select the appropriate product
- In the Advanced Info section, on the Stock tab, select the Do Not Allow Bacokorders check box
- Click Save
Backordering is a great way to prevent a customer from shopping elsewhere when you’re playing catch-up with your sold-out inventory. Keep shoppers patiently waiting — or not — by enabling or disabling the backorder functionality accordingly.