The Knowledge Base (KB) is the ultimate resource for your customers. It can feature product care instructions, FAQs, how-to articles or just about anything you want!
You can manage all of your Knowledge Base content in your Admin Area, which contains a central depository of articles, article categories and keywords that can be indexed and searched for. 🔎
Viewing Knowledge Base Articles
To view your store's main Knowledge Base page, head on over to this URL:
This page will list all knowledge base categories you've configured for your store! Here, visitors can browse categories or use the Search tool to find specific content.
Note that by default, your store template does not have a direct link to your store's main Knowledge Base page from your storefront. If you want a link to your knowledge base on your storefront, you'll need to create one and place it in your template!
Creating a Link to the Knowledge Base From Your Storefront 🔗
The easiest way to add a link is to add a new category in Inventory > Categories. Choose a name for your new category (for example, "Knowledge Base"). Under the Advanced Settings > Misc tab, paste the following URL into the Alternate URL field: http://www.yourvolusiondomain.com/kb_results.asp, replacing “yourvolusionstore” with your store’s domain name!
Creating Knowledge Base Articles
To create your first Knowledge Base article:
- Go to Customers > Knowledge Base in your Admin Area and click Add.
- Configure the article according to the settings listed in the table below.
- When finished, click Save.
When finished, click the View Live button near the top-right of the page to view the article as it will appear on your storefront! 📰
Each Knowledge Base article contains the following settings:
- KB ID
- Private (articles that are only accessible by administrators currently logged in to the store).
- Title (the title of the article as it is assigned by the author).
- Apply To Category ID(s) (where you can assign categories to an article).
- Body (the actual content of the article).
- Keywords (a list of terms visitors should be able to use to search for and find a particular article).
Creating Article Categories
Articles can be organized by category to make it easier for customers to find what they're looking for! You can create Knowledge Base categories as follows:
- From the Filter menu, choose Article Categories.
- Press Add to create a new category.
- Enter a name and description for the category. Note that the Description will only be visible to administrators.
- Select the Parent ID if it will be a subcategory under a main Knowledge Base category.
- Click Save.
Your store's Knowledge Base is also interactive, so visitors can rate and comment on the articles they view! It's a great way to get input from your customers and hone your KB content.
Near the bottom of article pages, customers will see a rating drop-down menu and text box. They can rate an article's quality from 1 (lowest) to 10 (highest) and leave comments about the article. 🗣
When a customer submits a comment, the comment is entered into the Reader Comments table in the Admin Area. You can review comments by selecting Reader Comments from the Filter menu near the top of the Knowledge Base table.
Each comment and rating will be displayed along with an ID number, the commenter's IP address, and the time and date the comment was created!
When an article is revised or edited, it's entered into the Articles Pending Review table. Now it's time for you to approve it!
- From the Filter menu, select Articles Pending Review.
- Click the ID number of the article.
- Under Revisions at the bottom of the page, select either Revert to Base or Accept Active Revision.
Updating Article Keywords
Visitors can use the Keywords field to search for articles by key terms or phrases.
After you create an article and enter its keywords, you need to update the index of keywords so the new ones will be searchable:
- From the Filter menu, select Search Hints.
- Select Add KB Keywords to Hints.
New articles will now have their keywords added to the Search Hints table, and people will be able to find your articles!
The Knowledge Base is a comprehensive and easy way to manage site information and documentation. If customers know they can find a library of useful resources in your Knowledge Base, it gives them one more reason to visit your store!