Donations may be part of your business model if you are a charitable organization or a small startup looking for support. Because we appreciate the generosity of kind-hearted people in any capacity, we’ve made it easy for you to set up donation-collection capabilities in your store. 😀
Customers can decide how much they want to donate, and then “check out” just they like would if they were purchasing a product.
Configuring A Donation “Product”
To set up your store to accept donations, you have to essentially create a donation “product.” Customers will love it because they get to name their own price! Here’s how you do it:
- Go to Inventory > Products
- Click Add to create a new product or click on a product code to edit an existing product
- If this is your first donation product, set the product code to Donation-1; if it’s the second, Donation-2, and so on
- Set the product's name (such as, “Donate to Our Cause”) and description (feel free to include meaningful information about the cause that people will care about)
- Set the product price and weight to zero
- Go to the Misc tab under Advanced Info and select Allow Price Edit
- Save your changes
Once customers add this “product” to their cart, they will be able to specify any amount they wish to donate and check out as they would with any other product.
Check for Discounts
Since a donation “product” has the same features as a standard product, be sure that there aren't any coupons or discounts configured that would automatically apply to your donation products or the product categories you may have assigned them to.
The Donations Page
Volusion provides you with a special page that you can use to display any donation products within your store – the donate.asp page. Customers can visit this page within your online storefront at the following URL:
(Be sure to substitute www.myvolusiondomain.com for your store's actual domain!)
Any donation “product” you configure within your online store will be displayed for purchase within this page, provided you have assigned a specific product code to it (as mentioned above).
Configuring Donation Amounts
If you configure your donation “product” to display on your donate.asp page, you will notice that this page provides a series of suggested donation amounts that customers can select from. (And they can still name their own amount as well.) You can modify these default amounts by doing the following:
- From your Admin Area, go to Settings > Config Variables and find the Donations Suggested Amount variable
- Configure the Value as needed
- Click Save
Note that the content you enter into this field should keep the format of the default settings, for example:
You can create a donation product that will allow customers to donate funds on a recurring basis by creating a donation “product” with the price configured for recurring billing.
- Go to Orders > Recurring Billing
- Click the three-dot actions menu and select Recurring Billing: Due Settings
- Select Enable Recurring Donations
- Click Save
Now you’ll receive recurring monthly donations, which means more money for your cause. 💰💰💰
Note About Recurring Donations
By default, your store is configured to purge all stored credit card information from its system after 30 days. If you plan to allow customers to automatically donate a specific amount on a regular, recurring basis beyond this 30-day period, you will need to adjust your store's payment settings like so:
- Go to Settings > Config Variables
- Click the Search button, enter "payment info" in the Name field, and click Search
- Set the Payment Info Delete Event to Never
- Enter a value that will accommodate the longest period of time you wish to allow your customers to donate on a recurring basis in the Payment Info Max Days to Keep field. If you wish to allow your customers to donate for an indefinite period, enter a value of "32656" into this field
- Save changes when finished
When your business relies on the kindness and generosity of loved ones and total strangers to open their wallets, 👛 you want to make sure it’s simple to drop some coins in the kitty 🐱 . With your Volusion store, it is.