How To Add Digital Products To Your Store
- Go to Inventory > Products in your Admin Area.
- Click Add.
- Fill in the basic product fields. For instructions on entering basic product info, see the Products article.
- Under Basic Info, in the Weight field, type 0.
- Under Advanced Info > Shipping, make sure Fixed Shipping Cost is 0 and Fixed Shipping Cost Outside Local Region is 0.
- Under Advanced Info > Misc, locate the Download Filename field.
- Click Upload File to open the Downloadables popup. (See below for image)
- Click Choose File to select the file you're selling.
- Click Upload My Files to upload the file to your store. Close the pop-up when finished.
- In the Download Filename field, enter the file name.
- Click Save.
When your customers purchase one or more downloadable products, your store will email a link to each file after you mark the order as Shipped. Customers will also be able to access their downloadable products by logging into their store account and clicking Review Orders/Track Packages.
Good To Know:
- A product can be associated with only one downloadable file. Create separate products for each downloadable file.
- The Downloadables pop-up has an upload limit of 10MB. For files larger than 10MB, you must use FTP to upload them to the /v/vspfiles/downloadables/ directory. See "How to Use Your Volusion FTP (SFTP) Account" for more information.
- When a digital product is purchased, the product is not automatically downloaded. Customers can access their files via logging into their accounts or through the Order Has Shipped email.
- Customers must create an account with a password in order to purchase and access downloadable products. They cannot check out anonymously and access their files.
Downloadable File Limits
As a general rule, if a file takes longer than 15 minutes to download, it may temporarily time out and need to be resumed.
In Google Chrome, a customer might receive a "Network Error" or "File Incomplete" message on the download prompt, which will include an arrow and/or a Resume button.
Resume can be located by clicking the arrow, or simply clicking the Resume button if it is presented.
In Mozilla Firefox, the customer might receive a "Download Failed" message in the downloads window with a Retry arrow, and clicking Retry or Resume should continue where the download left off.
Due to the timeout time limit, to prevent any problems with customers downloading files, we recommend limiting downloadable files to a maximum file size. Volusion recommends a general rule of a 1GB maximum file size.
If a downloadable file is several files that have been compressed or zipped together, Volusion recommends splitting that into multiple batches.
If the download is a single file, then it can be broken up by using compression software like 7zip to split the single file into multiple files.
With a single downloadable product broken into multiple files, you will want to have include the additional files as Free Accessories to your main product. This allows the customer to get every download link.
Adjusting When & How Customers Can Download Digital Purchases
Customers can download their purchases using the following steps after you’ve marked the order as shipped:
- Log in with your email address and store account password.
- Under My Orders, click Review Orders/Track Packages.
- Click the Download File(s) >>> link beside your order.
- At the top of the page, click the link labeled Click Here to Download the Files You’ve Purchased.
- On the Your Downloads… page, click on the file name to download the file.
There are a few other ways customers can access their downloads even sooner.
Once You’ve Marked The Order as Complete/Shipped …
Once you’ve clicked Complete Order on an order's Details page, and/or when the order is marked as Shipped, an email using the template OrderHasShipped.asp will be sent to the customer. Inside the OrderHasShipped email is a download link. If the customer clicks the link, they will land on their My Account page, where they can log into their store account and download their files.
You can also manually send or resend the OrderHasShipped.asp email to a customer within the associated order's Details page. Just select Shipped from the Email menu, then click Send or Resend.
Customers can log into their account from the My Account page from your storefront and access their purchased files so long as payment has been Received.
The amount of time it will take to receive their order payment (and gain access to their purchased files) depends how the customer paid:
Cash, COD, Wire transfer, etc.
The download will be available when you click Receive in the Payments section of the Order Details page.
Debit or Credit Card
The amount of time it takes to receive payment (and give customers access to their downloadable files) will depend on the Payment Capture Settings you selected under Settings > Payments.
If you’ve selected either Automatic Authorize, Manual Capture or Automatic Authorize and Capture, customers can download their files immediately after they submit their payment.
If you’ve selected Manual Authorize and Capture, the downloads will be available once you authorize the sale.
If you have Instant Payment Notifications (IPN) enabled in your PayPal account, the download will be available once the IPN is sent back to Volusion.
If you don’t have Instant Payment Notifications enabled, your customers’ downloads will be available after you click Receive in the Payments section of an order detail page.
If you would like customers to have instant access to their downloadable files upon purchase, you can configure your Payment Capture Settings to Automatic Authorize and Capture or Automatic Authorize, Manual Capture.
This can be set within Settings>Payments and clicking on Alternative Settings. The payment method will automatically be received when a customer places their order.
Limiting The Purchase Quantity
To prevent your customers from purchasing more than one of any given downloadable product, take the following steps:
- In your Admin Area, go to Settings > Config Variables.
- Click Search.
- In the Name field, type "maximum order quantity."
- Click the blue Search button.
- Select the Value check box in the Enable Maximum Order Quantity For Product Pages row.
- Click Save.
- Go to Inventory > Products.
- Click to edit the downloadable product that you want to limit.
- Under the Advanced Info section, click Misc.
- In the Max Qty field, type "1".
- Click Save.
If you sell computer software through the downloadable products feature, you may require a product key for copy protection or registration requirements.
Creating Product Keys
- From your Admin Area, go to Inventory > Product Key Distribution
- To create a pre-programmed product key, click Add
- Configure product keys using the following settings and, when finished, click Save:
PKey Email Template (Select a default email template to use for product key delivery; we recommend the generic.asp template.)
PKey KeyType (Enter a basic name for each product key type; not the actual key value.)
PKey Email Subject (Enter a subject line for automated emails that are sent to customers when they order a product configured with a product key.)
PKey Allow Reuse (Leave this option disabled to configure a unique, one-time use key OR enable it if the key can be used more than once — more on that below!)
PKey Email Body (Enter text or HTML for the email message you will send to the product key recipient; include the actual key value.)
Repeat this process to create additional product keys.
Good To Know: If an order with a product key has been generated, the key is not emailed to the customer until payment is received and the order is marked as Shipped.
To complete the order, visit the Details page for the order and click Complete Order. Alternatively, you can manually send the product key email from the Emails menu, by selecting Product Keys and clicking Send.
Once you've created a product key, the system must be configured to distribute the key whenever its related product is purchased. You can assign product keys to products like so:
- In your Admin Area, go to Inventory > Products and click to edit the product that will use the key.
- Under Advanced Info > Misc, in the Uses Product Key Type(s) field, type the product key.
- Click Save.
Distributing Multiple Versions Of The Same Product Key
To distribute a one-time key on multiple occasions (for example, a single software product that requires an individual activation key per user), use the following additional settings when creating a product key:
- In the PKey Email Body field, enter the unique product key for every version of the key. Each key must have the same PKey Key Type value and a different PKey Date Added value.
- Verify that the PKey Allow Reuse option is disabled (unchecked).
When the product is ordered and marked as Shipped, the system will automatically send the oldest existing key for that particular PKey Key Type. Once this occurs, that key will be marked as Used (with Order ID and Order Details ID filled accordingly) and unavailable to distribute again.
To quickly create a large number of product keys:
- Create a key and then click Add to populate its settings over to the new, unsaved record.
- Change the content of the PKey Email Body field.
- Click the arrow on the Save button at the bottom of the page, and select Save and add new.
- Click Save.
Alternately, you can use Import/Export to export your initial product key table, update it using a text editor, and import the content into your store. See Import / Export and Product Key Distribution for more details.
Good To Know: To identify whether a product key has been assigned to a specific order, click Inventory > Product Key Distribution and click on a product key code. If the key has been assigned, there will be an Order ID number entered in the PKey Original Order ID field.