Before you go live, consult the checklist below to ensure the best possible shopping experience for your customers.
Check the Main Links on Your Storefront
Are there any broken links, or pages with outdated information that need to be fixed?
- Check the main links on your storefront.
- Click on the links in your header and footer.
- Click on the categories in your navigation menus.
- Click on all of your Nav Menu Promotions.
Publish Your Website to Your Domain Name
Before you can successfully launch, ensure you've taken the following steps:
- Point your domain name to Volusion, either by pointing to Volusion's name servers or configuring a CNAME record.
- Closely review your SSL Seal information to make sure your customers can verify that your store is secure as they shop. Note: You'll need to be live on your domain name in order for your SSL Seal to function properly. This is also required for
- Use your Volusion Toolbar to edit information and images directly from your storefront.
By default, you're operating on a temporary placeholder web address we provide, formatted like this:
Once your store is pointed to your domain, it may take up to three days before customers worldwide can access your site at its domain name. Make sure to account for these steps and the processing time! Once your domain name is properly redirecting to your Volusion site, follow one last step to display your official domain name to the world.
Tip: You'll also need to be live on your domain name in order to confirm that your SSL Seal is working properly and that it's safe for you to accept credit cards through your website.
Test Your Checkout Process
Test your checkout process in multiple browsers (Chrome, Safari, Firefox) and on multiple devices (phone, tablet, computer).
- Check out with a credit card to make sure your gateway integration is set up correctly. Be sure to cancel the test orders and void the payments when you’re done. Make sure your gateway is set up to accept the credit card types you have enabled at Settings > Payment > Card Settings – it’s common for American Express to require additional configuration!
- Check the Shipping Rates that are provided for a sampling of your products and available shipping states, then check with your chosen shipping carrier to make sure you are correctly charging your customers.
- Check that your store Tax calculates correctly for multiple zip codes in the different states that you’re required to charge tax. Contact a tax accountant if you have any questions about when you’re required to charge tax.
- Review the Order Confirmation and Order Shipped emails to the customer to ensure that your email templates are customized for your store.
- Make sure your store’s contact information is available on your storefront, and check that the emails are delivered to you successfully.
Try a service such as UserBob to see recordings of people trying your site, and seeing what they think about your store experience. This can help you understand how users navigate your site and think about your business.
Congratulations, you’re in business!
You’ve completed the basic setup steps for your store, and you’re ready to start selling. You can send out a Newsletter blast to let any existing customers know that you’re up and running on your new store, or you can post on your business’ Facebook, Twitter, or blog that you’re ready to start taking orders.
Volusion also offers Ecommerce Marketing Services to help you reach your target market, maximize your traffic and boost sales. Volusion can focus on your online marketing needs while you focus on other important business matters.
Have any other questions? Chat with us using the help bubble in the bottom right corner of your screen. 👉