Generic Featured Products Export With Volusion API
Volusion's API is a powerful tool to enable both Volusion users and developers to easily integrate Volusion with 3rd party web services and applications. Until now, users have been required to access the Volusion API with administrator authentication to have 3rd party applications retrieve XML information from Volusion stores. Volusion API's Generic Products Export feature however gives users greater flexibility and security in accessing Volusion XML data and implementing it with services and applications – particularly social networking and Web 2.0 services such as Myspace, Facebook and more!
Accessing the Generic Featured Products Export
Users can access the generic product export functions through the main Voluison API access page. In your Admin Area, go to Inventory > Volusion API.
Enabling generic exports is easy. Simply click the check box of each of the two exports you wish to enable (you can enable one or simultaneously both of the generic exports). Click the save button next to each export option to engage this setting within your Volusion store
Generating the Export
- The Featured Products Export option will produce a list of the products within a user’s Volusion store that have been flagged as members of the Featured Products category (See the Volusion V5 manual for more information on the Featured Products category).
- The information provided in this export includes only basic product information stored for each product in a Volusion store. The product settings accessible through the Featured Product Export are:
- Access to the exported XML can be gained through the use of a URL the system generates.
- The URL format for this XML export will be:
Note that "www.yourdomain.com" refers to the actual domain name of your Volusion store.
Also note that products marked as Hidden or Private Section within a product's Advanced Info section will not be exported.
Other Features and Notices
The Featured Products Export Feature of the API are basic functions that are auto-generated by the Volusion system. Once generated, the XML code is updated automatically on a regularly, timed basis. The auto-update takes place at 12:00 AM US Central Standard Time.
There is however a manual override to this auto-update. Located next to each generic export option is a Reset button. This Reset option will manually update the XML export. We recommend using this option only if major updates to the product database have been made and it is imperative that these changes be updates to any instances of the Generic Exports currently in use.
One of the things the Featured Products export outputs is a URL referencing the product image. However, the product image that is referenced will change depending on how each individual product is configured:
- By default, the product photo URL relating to the productcode-2T image will be provided in the Featured Products export.
- However, if the product is configured with the option to use the same product image as another product (often an a parent-child product relationship), that product’s 2T image will be referenced.
- If this is not the case and the product is configured to use the large product photo instead of 2T, the large photo will be referenced in the URL.
- If the above is not the case and the product’s small photo is configured to be used as a product’s primary photo, the small photo will then be referenced in the URL.
- If a photo that is referenced within the product photo URL for any product in this export, the image referenced for the product will be the default, No Image photo.