With Volusion, you can assign a special shipping method to orders with an extreme weight or circumstances. While there currently isn't a function to assign shipping methods on a product-by-product basis, you can use the existing shipping method controls to create a custom workaround.
You should not use this method if your store has any active live shipping rates. If you have any live shipping rates active and an extreme-weight product is added to the cart, you and your customers will experience extreme delays on your store's shoppingcart.asp and/or one-page-checkout.asp pages.
Make sure that no feasible combination of other products could meet or exceed this weight.
- From the Admin Area, go to Settings > Shipping.
- Click Add Rate next to the Flat Rates heading to create a custom shipping method.
- Enter a name for the method and mark it as Active.
- Enter the shipping cost for products using this method in the Base rate field. Make sure the Cost Per Lb field is blank.
- In the shipping method's Qualifying Orders section, configure the Minimum weight to an extreme value, such as "6000".
- Click Save.
The configured shipping method will now be applicable to products that have with a weight of "6000" or higher. To set products with a weight so that orders containing them will only use this method:
- Go to Inventory > Products.
- Click the Product Code of the product for which you want to use this method.
- Set the Weight of the product to "6000" or whatever you used in step 4.
- Click Save.
Don’t let the heft of some products weigh you down. Volusion has a solution for you to get those extreme cases handled without impacting your other orders.