Sage Pay is Europe's leading independent payment service provider and one of the most trusted payment brands. It provides Authorization, Capture, Credit, Debit*, and Void* functions for online stores. It enables 3D Secure Authentication — a fraud prevention initiative for shoppers. It also reduces your risk for chargebacks because the credit card provider takes responsibility for authenticating transactions. 😌
*Debit capability is only supported if 3D Secure is not enabled. If you enable 3D Secure for your Sage Pay account, you must use the Automatic Authorize, Manual Capture setting, which makes the Debit function unavailable.
When using 3D Secure, you may not Void a Capture event; you can only use the Credit function to return captured funds.
First Things First ...
If you have a Sage Pay account, go to the Sage Pay website and click Log In. If you haven't registered for a Sage Pay account yet:
- Go to the Sage Pay website and click Apply
- Enter and submit your required information
- You'll then receive an email from Sage Pay with your temporary account password
- Return to the the Sage Pay site, click Log In and enter your username (email address) and password
⚠️ Good To Know!
Before you integrate Sage Pay with your Volusion store, here are a few important things to note about using 3D Secure Authentication:
- Merchants must set the payment and capture settings in their Volusion store to Automatic Authorize, Manual Capture
- Visa and Mastercard card holders will need to complete an extra step during the checkout process. After entering their credit card details, they will be prompted to enter a password from their card provider. For more info, check out 3D Secure Explained.
- While 3D Secure Authentication has advantages great, there are a few drawbacks. Namely, it can only verify Visa and Mastercard payments; and it’s not compatible with the following:
- Phone orders
- Recurring billing
- Mobile checkout
Configuring Sage Pay
Once you log into Sage Pay, follow the configuration instructions on their site. In order to perform specific actions within your Volusion store, you will need to enable various transaction types within your Sage Pay account:
Sage Pay: DEFER
Sage Pay: RELEASE
Sage Pay: ABORT
Sage Pay: REFUND
⚠️ Good To Know!
If you signed up for Sage Pay through our Payment Processing Partners page, certain fields may be pre-formatted. If not, you may need to supply the following information:
- Valid IPs: 209.099.051.001. The Subnet mask is 255.255.255.000.
- For checkout option, choose to keep customers on one-page checkout — direct integration
Integrating Sage Pay With Volusion
You may be chomping at the bit to get up and running with Sage Pay, but hold your horses. 🐎🐎🐎 First you must make sure that you have a valid SSL certificate.
Also, it may take up to 48 hours for your Sage Pay store account to be set up. Once your account is active, Sage Pay will email you with your Sage Pay Vendor ID. Then, you can integrate Sage Pay with your Volusion store, like so:
- In your Volusion Admin Area, go to Settings > Payment
- Under Payment Gateway, select United Kingdom as your Gateway Country
- From the Gateway Name drop-down, select Sage Pay VPS Direct
- Enter your Sage Pay Vendor ID
- Click Save
- Below the I am testing my account check box, click Alternative Settings
- Confirm that your payment capture settings are set to Automatic Authorize, Manual Capture (if you're using Sage Pay with 3D Secure) or, optionally, to Automatic Authorize and Capture (if you're using Sage Pay without 3D Secure)
- Click Save
Activating 3D Secure in Sage Pay
Once you’ve integrated Sage Pay with your Volusion store, you will need to activate 3D Secure to enjoy their maximum fraud protection. Here’s how:
- Log in to the MySagePay administrative area
- Click Administration > Account Parameters
- On the Account Administration page, click 3D Secure Fraud Checking Options
⚠️ Good To Know!
If you are using 3D Secure, by default, any credit card other than a Visa or Mastercard will be automatically declined. 💳 However, if you wish to accept all credit cards — and assume liability for any fraudulent charges made with unverified cards — you can do so by going to Settings > Config Variables and enabling the Authorize for Unverified 3D Secure Enrollment option.
Tried & Tested
When you initially sign up for your Sage Pay account, Sage Pay may require you to set your account and your Volusion store to Test Mode. This allows them to verify your account settings before enabling you to collect payments for actual orders.
Select the I am Testing My Account option and click Save to place your store into Sage Pay's test mode. Once Sage Pay has verified your account is configured properly, you can deselect this option and click Save again to take your store out of test mode.
Configuring Currency Settings
Once Sage Pay has been successfully integrated into your store, but before you start taking orders, make sure to configure your Volusion store's default currency as British Pounds.
You also need to configure one of your store's checkout variables to use British Pounds. Here’s how:
- Head to your Admin Area and go to Settings > Config Variables
- Choose Checkout Variables from the Filter menu
- Enter "GBP" into the Payment Gateway Currency Code field
- Click Save
Your Sage Pay account should now be active, integrated and ready to process payments. 🙌 Exciting, we know!
You can’t put a price on peace of mind, and that’s exactly what Sage Pay and 3D Secure Authentication offer. It verifies your store’s Visa and Mastercard purchases and takes on the liability if a fraudulent purchase is made. This way, you can breathe a sigh of relief and keep selling like a superstar. 🌟