When adding a product to your store, one of the required fields is Code. Each product within your store's products database must be given a product code; this helps you and the software robots track down and organize your items.
How should I name my product codes?
A product code can be anything you want, but there are some rules and exceptions:
- Each product code must be unique; two or more products cannot share the same code.
- Product codes must be 30 characters or less.
- Product codes can consist of letters, numbers and basic symbols: "-", "." and "_" The following symbols may cause errors if used in product codes: (/, \, ?, :, *)
- Product codes cannot contain two or more consecutive hyphens, although a product code may contain more than one hyphen if separated by other characters.
- Do not use "0" or "00" at the beginning of product codes; it can cause issues when importing product records.
Here are some tips to keep in mind when assigning product codes to products:
- Give each product a meaningful code, preferably related to the product name or type. This will help provide clarity on invoices, and when importing or exporting products.
- If there are a series of similar products, consider using different versions of the same product code, like "Shirt-Green" and "Shirt-Blue."
- Be consistent in assigning codes, just as you would be consistent in naming your products.
- Most products have a SKU number; you might want to this as the basis of a product code.
Reserved Product Code Prefixes
You can use the following prefix product codes for specific purposes:
- DSC- (indicates an order discount).
- GFT- (indicates a gift).
- SETUP- (used if you have setup costs for a product).
- MEMBERSHIP- (indicates a membership).
- DONATION- (indicates a donation).
Because of these special uses, do not use these prefixes followed by any characters when creating your store product codes!
Product codes are an essential step for organizing your store and selling your products. As long as you follow these guidelines, you'll be good to go.