Variety sells! The more product options you offer, the more shoppers you can attract and sell to. Some customers may even love something you offer so much that they end up buying different variations of the same thing. Ka-ching!
While more sales sounds like great news, it also sounds like more work for you. But not so! Volusion has your store solution. (And, yes, we like to rhyme from time to time.)
The MultiChild Add to Cart feature lets you display product options in a grid on the product’s details page. Each “child” product (aka the variant of the “parent” or main product) will have its own row, along with a quantity field and checkbox.
Customers can select which child products they want to purchase, enter the quantities and click Add to Cart to place everything into their shopping cart 🛒 all at once (instead of having to do it one at a time). Voila! Talk about a timesaver.
This is especially useful if you’re a wholesaler who offers lots of different variations of the same product, such as a running shoe that comes in 3 colors and 6 sizes. 👟 👟 👟
To quickly create a lot of child products and enable your customers to add them to their carts all at once, follow the steps below.
Enabling Multi-Child Add to Cart
First, you need to add option categories or your product.
- Go to Inventory > Options and select Option Categories from the Filter menu.
- Click Add.
- Enter the information as needed as click Save.
Now, create your new options and assign them to the Option Category you just created.
- Go back to Inventory > Options and click Add.
- Enter a Price Difference to either add or subtract to the overall product price if it is chosen by a customer when a relative product is purchased.
- Select the Option Category (created in the steps above) from the drop-down menu.
- Assign a name to a product option in the Option Description field. This will be the actual name of the option as displayed to customers.
- When finished configuring the new option, click Save.
- Repeat these steps for any additional options you need to create.
Next, assign your new options to their respective product.
- Go to Inventory > Products and click on the product ID you want to edit.
- At the bottom of the Basic Info section, click Add Options.
- Select the options you want to assign to the product and click Save.
- Now you should see the Enable Options Inventory Control check box under the Edit Options link – make sure it’s selected and click Save.
- Under Advanced Info in the Product Display tab, select the Enable Multi Child Add to Cart option and click Save.
- Go back to the bottom of the Basic Info section, click Edit Options, deselect the options you selected previously, and click Save.
The product should now be listed along with its options under the Options Inventory Control section on the product edit page.
This is the quickest way to create a large number of variant products. You can also create them one-by-one, which won't require use of the inventory control grid or application of options to the product.
Changes to the Product Page
Once you enable the Multi-Child Add to Cart feature for a product, that product's description and additional information will change positioning. The main Description displays above the grid on the product page, while additional Product Description fields display below the grid.
Related Products won't display for any product that uses the multi-child add to cart feature, but Accessories will still display below the description fields. See Product Settings for more information on Accessories.
Having a lot of product variations should be a reason to celebrate, 🎉 not a burden. 😫 We make it easy to create large numbers of variant products and enable your shoppers to add specific numbers of each one to their cart all at once. With Volusion, there’s always a simple solution! 😀