When it comes to your business, you gotta cover your assets. That’s why some ecommerce companies require customers to agree to their Terms & Conditions before they check out.
If you fit into that camp you, we’ll show you how to add a T&C checkbox to your checkout page and link to your store’s T&C page.
Creating a Terms & Conditions Custom Field
Here’s how to add a T&C checkbox to your checkout page:
- Go to Settings > Custom Fields in your Admin Area
- Click Add
- Select Orders from the Table Name menu
- Enter “Terms” or something similar in the Alias field (The alias won’t be visible on your storefront)
- In the Question field, write the text as you want it to appear on the checkout page (e.g. “I agree to all terms of purchase.”) ⚠️ Good to Know: This field does NOT support HTML, so please do not use characters such as " > < ; ' as they may cause errors at checkout
- To link to your Terms & Conditions page on your website, enter the following into the Question Subtext field:Read our <a href="/terms.asp"target="_blank">terms and conditions</a>
- Choose Checkbox from the Input Type menu
- Enter any numeric value into the Input Max Length field, e.g.“1” (This is a required field that has zero impact on the Checkbox Input Type)
- If you want checking the T&C box to be a required field for customers to complete before they can check out, enable the Is Required option
- Enable the Is Public option so the field will be visible to customers on your storefront
- Click Save
Now your custom T&C checkbox should be all set up, complete with a link to your Terms and Conditions page. To edit the default text on your Terms and Conditions page, see “How to Update Your Store's Informational Pages.”
Transparency is a great thing, especially in business. By adding a custom field to your checkout page, you can be sure that your customers understand the terms and conditions of a sale and that there won’t be any surprises. 🎉
For more information, see our guides on Custom Fields and "How to Add Custom Fields to the Checkout Page".