The Product Display Settings page lets you control the way your product comparisons, search results, and home page featured products are displayed.
- Setting Up Product Compare
- Configuring the Search Results Page
- Configuring Featured Products on Your Homepage
- Enabling Other Home Page Sections
Setting Up Product Compare
- Go to Design > Product Display Settings in your Admin Area.
- Click the Product Comparison Page tab near the bottom of the page.
- To enable comparisons from Category pages, click the Enable Product Comparison for Categories box.
- To enable comparisons from Search Results pages, select Enable Product Comparison for Search Results.
- Select the maximum number of products you want customers to be able to compare from the Maximum Products to Compare menu. This value can be between two and five.
- Select or deselect the various check box variables in the Display section to include or exclude certain product information from comparisons as needed.
- Click Save.
Configuring the Search Results Page
The Search Results page displays when a customer uses the Search bar on your storefront. This tab allows you to configure how the results display, and what product information appears.
1. Go to Design > Product Display Settings.
2. From the Product Lists section at the top of the screen, select the Search Results tab.
3. If you want any specific text to appear above or below the list of products returned by the search, enter your text in the Content Above Product List and Content Below Product List text boxes.
4. From the Product Display Mode menu, select the way you want results to display. For responsive themes, we offer the following options:
- Responsive Grid: This is the optimal display mode for responsive themes.
- Lightweight Grid: Of our legacy non-responsive theme display mode options, this is the only one compatible with responsive themes.
For legacy non-response themes, we offer the following options:
- Single Rows: Lists each product in a single row.
- Grid: Displays each product and its information in a grid.
- Checkboxes: Displays products in a list with a Qty box and an Add checkbox next to each product, allowing customers to add one or more of those products directly to their shopping cart.
- List: Display products within a compact list, without a product image.
- Lightweight Grid: Display products in a more compact grid layout than the Grid setting without the Add to cart link.
For visual examples of each Product Display Mode, see "Important Category Terms".
5. From the Default Sort By drop-down, select how you want the products sorted.
6. If you are displaying results using the Grid or Lightweight Grid display mode, enter the number of Display Columns and Display Rows.
7. If you want to display only one page of search results, select Y from the Display Featured Products Only menu. This will display only results that are also featured products, with the Featured Products title graphic replacing navigation controls.
8. Use the various Show menus to select the information you want to display for each product in search results.
9. Click Save.
Configuring Featured Products on Your Homepage
The Home Page: Featured section displays on your store's homepage, provided that Activate Featured Products on Home Page is enabled under Settings > Config Variables. This section shows a random display of products that have been designated as Featured Products in the Product Display tab of each product.
1. Go to Design > Product Display Settings.
2. Select the Product Lists > Home Page: Featured tab.
3. Select Enable Featured Products if you want to display featured products on your homepage.
4. From the Product Display Mode menu, select the way you want featured products to display. This can be:
- Single Rows: lists each product in a single row.
- List: display products within a compact list, without a product image.
- Lightweight Grid: display products in a compact grid layout.
5. If you selected the Lightweight Grid display mode, enter the number of Display Columns and Display Rows You can display a maximum of 102 featured products on your homepage - 3 columns x 34 rows or 4 x 24, for example.
6. Use the various Show menus to select the information you want to display for each featured product.
7. Click Save.
Note that the Display Featured Products Only setting is a residual control from the Search Results tab, and does not have any effect on the Home Page: Featured display. A sample of the products marked as Featured are randomly selected for display and are shown in random order (for example, four featured products will be displayed at random if you chose 4 Display Columns). It is currently not possible to choose which products display at which times and in which positions.
Select the products you want to feature
Choose up to 102 products you'd like to feature – the software will display a random selection every time your homepage is refreshed.
- Go to Inventory > Products.
- Click on a product you want to feature.
- Scroll down to Advanced Info and select the Product Display tab.
- At the bottom of the tab, from the Feature This Product On The Home Page menu, select Home Featured.
- Click Save.
Repeat for each product you want to feature.
Enabling Other Home Page Sections
If you're using a legacy non-responsive theme, you'll see tabs for sections titled Super Deal, Top Sellers, and New Products. Each tab contains a single check box that allows you to enable the corresponding section on your home page.
These sections display stacked in a vertical column on one side of your homepage; when all sections are enabled, Super Deals displays at the top, followed by Top Sellers in the middle and New Products at the bottom.
NOTE ON RESPONSIVE THEMES
Note that the sections outlined below may not fit with the design of all Volusion themes, and are not intended for use with responsive themes. When a responsive theme is active, the tabs for these sections are hidden from the Design > Product Display Settings page of your Admin Area.
However, you can still enable or disable these sections by going to Settings > Config Variables and performing a search with the term "activate" in the Name field.
The Super Deal section displays a single product within a special area on your homepage. The product is randomly chosen from products that have been assigned to your Super Deals group.
To add a product to the Super Deals group, go to the Advanced Info > Product Display section of a product page and select Home SuperDeal from the Feature Product on the Homepage menu.
The Top Sellers section promotes popular products within a special area on your homepage, displaying the title and price of up to five randomly selected items from your Top Sellers group.
To add a product to the Top Sellers group, go to the Advanced Info > Product Display section of a product page and select Home TopSeller from the Feature Product on the Homepage drop-down menu. Note that Top Seller products are not automatically selected by the system based on sales; you control which items you want to promote as Top Sellers.
The New Products section promotes your latest arrivals within a special area on your homepage, displaying the title and price of up to five randomly selected items from your New Products group.
To add a product to the New Products group, go to the Advanced Info > Product Display section of a product page and select Home New from the Feature Product on the Homepage menu.