This article covers how to create a custom product code for a child product in your store. For information on how to create child products, see the article Inventory Control Grid.
Volusion automatically generates a product code for each child product. Follow the instructions below to create child products with custom product codes.
Assigning Your Own Child Product Codes
- If you’ve already created child products in the Inventory Control Grid that are using the product code extensions -0001, -0002, etc., find them in the Inventory > Products table and delete those child products. Do not delete the parent product.
- On the Inventory > Products page, click the three-dot menu at the top right and select All Product Settings.
- Uncheck Enable Smart Match and click Save.
- Return to the parent product page. Click the Product Name field and press the Ctrl key on your keyboard to prompt the Save button to appear. Click Save.
- Scroll down to the Inventory Control Grid section. The child products in the Inventory Control Grid will all have the same product code as the parent product.
- Add on your own unique extensions to the product codes (ex.: -S, -M and -L for Small, Medium and Large options). See the article Product Codes for more information on product code restrictions.
- Click the Save button at the bottom of the Inventory Control Grid section. A confirmation message will appear at the top of the Inventory Control Grid section confirming your new child products have been created: The following products did not exist, and therefore were automatically created for you.
- Return to the Inventory > Products page, click the three-dot menu, and check Enable Smart Match. Click Save.