Stamps.com is a software service that lets you manage your shipping needs with USPS, including order management, processing, purchasing postage and generating mailing labels. This guide will show you how to integrate your store with Stamps.com using the Volusion API!
- What Can Stamps.com and Volusion Do?
- Exporting Orders to Stamps.com
- Tips and Special Settings
What can Stamps.com and Volusion do? ❓❓
Once you generate an XML export, you can import the XML export into Stamps.com to process orders and generate shipping postage and labels. With Stamps.com integration, you can:
- Validate shipping addresses
- Design custom mailing labels
- Print mailing labels for orders
- Generate and purchase postage from USPS for Volusion-based orders
- Share order information with Stone Edge Order Management
Stamps.com Export Requirements
There are some specific requirements that must be met once the connection to the Volusion API from Stamps.com has been established:
- Stamps.com can only process orders that are marked as "Ready to Ship"
- Stamps.com only processes orders given a valid USPS shipping method
- Your store must have at least one valid USPS shipping method active
- Active USPS methods must use the default service codes which are pre-programmed into your Shipping table for shipping method IDs 801-832.
- The USPS shipping methods must be Live.
Exporting Orders to Stamps.com ↗️
The Stamps.com integration uses the Volusion API to pull an export of applicable orders. To set up the connection between Volusion and Stamps.com, follow the instructions outlined in Stamps.com's help article.
What the Stamps.com Export Generates
When generated, the Stamps.com export outputs the following fields and associated values.
Stamps.com Values 🤔
PackageID (equivalent to the OrderID field in your Orders database table).
Mail Class (This field refers to the ShippingMethodName field within the Shipping table as linked to by the ShippingMethodID field in the Orders table. This is not the service code but the name assigned to the shipping method within your store.)
DateAdvance (no specific value is exported from Volusion for this field. It is always set to zero).
PackageType (by Default, this filed will always report the value RECTPARCEL unless a product within the shipment is configured to Ship by Itself for special shipping restrictions).
WeightOz (equivalent to the total number of values on the order for the ProductWeight field within the OrderDetails database table as linked to through the Orders table via the OrderID value).
Value (equivalent to the ProductPrice field within the OrderDetails database table as linked to through the Orders table via the OrderID value).
Description (no specific value is exported for this field. It is always NULL).
ReferenceID (equivalent to the OrderID field in the Orders database table).
ToName (equivalent to the ShipFirstName and ShipLastName fields in the Orders database table).
ToCompany (equivalent to the ShipCountry field in the Orders database table).
ToAddress1 (equivalent to the ShipAddress1 field in the Orders database table).
ToAddress2 (equivalent to the ShipAddress2 field in the Orders database table).
ToCity (equivalent to the ShipCity field in the Orders database table).
ToState (equivalent to the ShipState field in the Orders database table).
ToPostalCode (equivalent to the ShipPostalCode field in the Orders database table).
ToCountry (equivalent to the ShipCountry field in the Orders database table).
ToEmail (equivalent to the EmailAddress field in the Customers database table as linked to from the Orders table via the CustomerID field).
ToPhone (equivalent to the ShipPhoneNumber field in the Orders database table).
Stamps.com's services and software offer a multitude of options through the USPS. There are some other factors you should keep in mind regarding Stamps.com integration:
- Volusion provides only an export function to work with Stamps.com. Importing information from Stamps.com into Volusion is not available.
- The Volusion export for Stamps.com only provides information for users to create mailing labels and generate postage through Stamps.com. Volusion's XML integration does not provide any features beyond this.
- If you want to update orders with tracking information generated by Stamps.com, you'll have to import that information into your store either manually, or with the bulk update or SQL query features. This cannot be done through the Volusion API.
Tips and Special Settings☝️
Using Custom Shipping Rates With Stamps.com
You have a lot of options when it comes to custom shipping methods in your store. You can have Stamps.com use your custom rates, keeping a few things in mind:
- Only custom rates that have valid, USPS-based Service Codes can be exported
- In order for custom shipping rates to be exported to Stamps.com, you must edit the method's Service Code field to contain a valid USPS service code. Default USPS service codes are pre-programmed into your Shipping table for shipping method IDs 801-832.
- All other settings within the custom shipping method can be configured as you wish.
- Make sure you use a Service Code similar to the custom method being created (for example, don't use the "Priority Mail International" service code for a custom method that will ship orders via a domestic ground service).
Please note that due to functional restrictions, eBay orders are not compatible with the Stamps.com integration.
Ship easy and keep your business running smoothly with Stamps.com. If you have any questions, feel free to drop us a line!