We allude to this a lot, but rather than be bashful, we’ll just come out and say it: The beauty of Volusion is its incredible flexibility.
We know that all shoppers don’t browse or buy alike. So our platform allows you set up your store so that your shoppers can find what they want in the quickest and easiest ways possible.
For example, on category pages, your customers can use the Default Sort By method or choose their own from the Sort By menu to display products in a number of different ways. Keep reading to learn more about each one.
Default Sort By View
To set or edit the standard way products are sorted on a category page ...
- Go to Inventory > Categories in your Admin Area.
- Hover over the category you want to edit and click Edit.
- Under the Advanced Info > Product Display tab, select the most appropriate Sort By method and click Save.
Product Sort Modes
The products in a category can be sorted in any of the following ways:
- Blank: This sort mode defaults to the Price Low to High sort mode.
- Price Low to High: Products will be sorted based on the Product Price (lowest prices listed first).
- Price High to Low: Products will be sorted based on the Product Price (highest prices listed first).
- Most Popular: Products will be sorted based on the number in the Product Popularity field for each product. A higher number in the Product Popularity field will make the product appear higher in the sorted list.
- Title: Products will be sorted alphabetically based on the Product Name.
- Manufacturer: Products will be sorted alphabetically based on the Manufacturer.*
- Availability: Products will be sorted based on the Stock Status. Products with more stock will display higher in the sorted list.
- Newest: Products will be sorted based on the Display Begin Date - products with the most recent Display Begin Date will display higher in the sorted list.
- Oldest: Products will be sorted based on the Display Begin Date - products with the oldest Display Begin Date will display higher in the sorted list.
*By default, your products do not have a manufacturer assigned to them. You can designate a product's manufacturer under Advanced Info > Misc > Manufacturer. For more information, see our article on Product Settings.
Note that if the Default Sort By mode selected uses a field that is blank for all products (e.g. the Default Sort By is set to Manufacturer but the Manufacturer field is blank for all products), products will be sorted by the system-generated Product ID. This also applies when a customer selects a Sort By mode.
Setting Products to Use the Newest/Oldest Function
Among the default settings within each category filter, you can sort the contents by newest or oldest products within each category or subcategory.
Note that when using the Newest or Oldest category filter, products will be sorted based on the Display Begin Date field within each product's settings page. You must enter a date into this field for the feature to function properly.
You can configure this field in each product's settings page under the Advanced Info > Product Display tab.
Products Without a Display Begin Date field
If your product does not have the Display Begin Date field, you'll need to activate a Product Setting.
- Go to Inventory > Products.
- Click the three-dot actions menu icon and select All Products Settings.
- Select the Enable Temporary Products variable.
- Click Save.
Now you can configure your product's Advanced Info > Product Display settings as noted above.
Your customers like to shop in different ways. And because the customer is always right, we let them. Your store’s many modes for filtering and displaying products within your category pages should make it fast and easy for them to find — and buy (ka-ching 🤑) — whatever their hearts desire! ❤️❤️❤️