The Multi-Child Add to Cart feature lets you display product attribute options on a product's details page with quantity specification fields. For example, a wholesaler can order specific quantities of each product variation at once without having to choose them one at a time.
With the Multi-Child Add to Cart feature enabled, the product page will display a table with every child product associated with the parent product in its Inventory Control Grid. Each child product will have its own table row, along with a quantity field and check box. Customers can select which product variant(s) they want to purchase, enter the quantity of each product, and click Add to Cart to place all product variants and quantities into their shopping cart at once.
This is especially useful for wholesalers or bulk sellers who offer various versions of the same product, such as a running shoe that comes in 3 colors and 6 sizes. Instead of navigating through the shopping cart pages numerous times to add a quantity of each variant separately, the Multi-Child Add to Cart allows customers to specify the number of units for each variant and add them all to the cart at once from the same storefront grid.
Enabling Multi-Child Add to Cart
First, you need to add option categories or your product.
- Go to Inventory > Options and select Option Categories from the Filter menu.
- Click Add.
- Enter the information as needed as click Save.
Now, create your new options and assign them to the Option Category you just created.
- Go back to Inventory > Options and click Add.
- Enter a Price Difference to either add or subtract to the overall product price if it is chosen by a customer when a relative product is purchased.
- Select the Option Category (created in the steps above) from the drop-down menu.
- Assign a name to a product option in the Option Description field. This will be the actual name of the option as displayed to customers.
- When finished configuring the new option, click Save.
- Repeat these steps for any additional options you need to create.
Next, assign your new options to their respective product.
- Go to Inventory > Products and click on the product ID you want to edit.
- At the bottom of the Basic Info section, click Add Options.
- Select the options you want to assign to the product and click Save.
- Now you should see the Enable Options Inventory Control check box under the Edit Options link – make sure it’s selected and click Save.
- Under Advanced Info in the Product Display tab, select the Enable Multi Child Add to Cart option and click Save.
- Go back to the bottom of the Basic Info section, click Edit Options, deselect the options you selected previously, and click Save.
The product should now be listed along with its options under the Options Inventory Control section on the product edit page.
This is the quickest way to create a large number of variant products. You can also create them one-by-one, which won't require use of the inventory control grid or application of options to the product.