Volusion provides access to your hosted email account via both an online webmail portal or through a traditional POP connection using standalone, email client software.
If you choose to connect to your online store's hosted email using a POP client (for example, Microsoft Outlook, Thunderbird, Apple Mail, etc.), you may want to be aware of some user settings and restrictions in regards to POP client software such as Microsoft Outlook.
Issue with Default POP Client Settings:
By default, most email clients are configured to operate in a background or idle mode within your computer workstation's operating system.
This way, the email client can regularly check for updates from any email account the software is configured to connect to.
Note that this account check is typically performed in frequent intervals (once every 1-5 minutes). While this is convenient, it can produce unnecessary network overhead for your accounts' email servers as the client continues to contact the POP network for updates.
In this regard, Volusion recommends configuring any POP client you may be using to check for updates at an interval of 30 minutes or more.
Modifying POP Client Settings:
You can configure this setting within Microsoft Outlook using the following steps:
- Within Outlook, click on the File heading in the menu bar and select Options.
- Next, click on the Advanced tab.
- Scroll down to the Send and Receive section and click the Send/Receive button.
- Make sure the Schedule an Automatic Send/Receive Every option is selected and enter 30 into the text box next to this option.
- Optionally, under the "Offline Options" heading, enable the "Automatic Send/Receive" setting and enter 30 into the text box next to this option.
- Finally, click "Close" and the click "OK" to apply these settings.
Once these steps are complete, your POP client will be configured to check for updates once every 30 minutes. Doing this can help to reduce overall email network overhead and improve connectivity and response time for your hosted POP email.