Depending on your type of business, you may want customers to agree to your company terms and conditions before they can check out. In this article, we’ll create a custom check box for the checkout page and show you how to create a link to your store’s Terms and Conditions page.
Creating a Terms and Conditions Custom Field
To get started, go to Settings > Custom Fields in your Admin Area and follow these steps:
- Click Add.
- Select Orders from the Table Name menu.
- Enter “Terms” or something similar in the Alias field – the alias won’t be visible on your storefront.
- In the Question field, write the text as you want it to appear on the checkout page (e.g. “I agree to all terms of purchase”).*
- If you'd like to create a link to your Terms and Conditions page that opens in a new browser window, you can enter the following into the Question Subtext field*:
Read our <a href="/terms.asp"target="_blank">terms and conditions</a>.
- Choose Checkbox from the Input Type menu.
- Enter any numeric value into the Input Max Length field (for example, "1"). It's a required field, but it has no impact on the Checkbox Input Type.
- If you want this to be a required field for customers to complete before they can check out, enable the Is Required option.
- Enable the Is Public option so the field will be visible to customers on your storefront.
- Click Save.
* While the Question Subtext field supports HTML, the Question field does not. The following characters are not valid in the Question field, and may cause errors at checkout: " > < ; '
Your custom field is all set up, complete with a link to your Terms and Conditions page. To edit the default text on your Terms and Conditions page, see "How to Update Your Store's Informational Pages".
For more information, see our guides on Custom Fields and "How to Add Custom Fields to the Checkout Page".