If you're an advanced Volusion user, there is a series of tools you can use to exert more control over data tables within your Admin Area. Select any of these special controls to further configure or control the table view on a page.
These advanced tools can be accessed from different pages within your Admin Area. Each set of tools will have the same controls and functions, but the database tables and information they have control over corresponds only to the data displayed on the page currently being viewed.
For example, using the Bulk Updates tool in the Products page can modify data within the Products table only. To modify the Customers table using the Bulk Updates tool, you'll need to select the Bulk Updates option from the three-dot actions menu on the Customers page.
Accessing Advanced Options
The advanced table view options can be located near the top of the table view of specific pages within the Volusion system. These special controls are available within the following areas of your Admin Area.
ADVANCED OPTIONS LOCATIONS
Controls are available in the "Orders", "Recurring Billing", "Returns / RMAs" and "Abandoned / Live Carts" tables.
Controls are available in the "Affiliate Stats" and "Search Terms" tables.
These controls are available in the "Products", "Product Options", "Vendors", "Purchase Orders", "Product Key Distribution" and "Warehouses" tables as well as the "Categories" table under the "View All" tab.
Controls are available in the "Coupons / Discounts", "Nav Menu Promotions", "Newsletters", "Gift Certificates" and "In-Stock Requests" tables.
These controls can be found in the "Customers", "Customer Reviews", "Administrators" and "Knowledge Base" tables.
Controls are found in the "Site Content" table by clicking "View List."
These controls are available in the "IP Firewall", "Config Variables" and "Custom Fields" tables as well as in the advanced modes for the "Shipping", "Tax", "Payment" and "Currency" tables.
Click the three-dot actions menu from one of these pages to access advanced options.
Customize This View
Clicking on this link will reveal a field with 3 main sets of options:
Choose Columns to Display
- Check boxes will be available relating to each individual setting for the items contained within the table view.
- Check or uncheck these options to reveal or hide individual columns within the table view.
- Note that some table view elements can have a large number of products. The greater the number of columns displayed within the table view, the greater the time will be required to load the table view page.
- Note that there may be degradation in page responsiveness if too many columns are made active within the table view.
Choose Font Size
- Set this menu to change the font size of the elements displayed within the table view.
- There are two options available here - Large and Small. The Small font option is generally recommended, specifically for table view pages that have a great deal of information that is being displayed on the page at once.
Choose Screen Width
- The width of the table view display can be changed using this option.
- By default, the table view displays at 100% of the screen width. This can be set this to a factor as high as 10,000.
Once finished configuring the Customize settings, apply these settings to the table view by clicking the Apply Preferences button. The view customization controls within the table view page can be hidden by clicking again on the Customize this view link.
This function allows you to create and execute a bulk update within the table view.
The Bulk Updates tool is essentially an easy-to-use wizard that can quickly create and execute SQL (Structured Query Language) code to affect elements within the table. SQL is essentially the language of databases.
This powerful feature can allow a great deal of flexibility in managing data within your store. Of course, with great power comes great responsibility - the Bulk Updates tool was designed with advanced users. If you aren't familiar with SQL and database structure, we recommend that you refrain from using the Bulk Updates to avoid damaging data within your store.
Selecting Export Results from the three-dot actions menu within the table view will reveal the Export to QueryBank As option. This tool was specifically designed to enable advanced users to "bookmark" any Bulk Update query results that they may need to access frequently.
The QueryBank is simply a depository for all SQL queries that merchants may run. Once a query is executed and the table view page is updated according to that query, its results can be saved to the QueryBank by doing the following:
- Execute a query within the table view using the Bulk Update tool.
- Click the three-dot actions menu icon and select Export Results.
- Enter a name to be assigned to the saved results.
- Activate the Global option if you want the saved export to be accessible by anyone with administration access to the store.
- Click Export These Results. This will redirect to the Standard Export table.
- Notice that the query result is now listed in the Saved Queries portion of the Saved Exports page.
- The query's results can be accessed repeatedly from this page. More information on how to do this is available in Import / Export.
Similar to the Export Results tool, the Bookmark Results option allows you to save query results. In this case, unlike the Export Results tool, the Bookmark Results option doesn't save a query to the QueryBank but rather saves the query's results to a simple bookmark. The bookmarked query is not entered into the QueryBank but is simply logged as a bookmark link within the Bookmark Results tool's dialog pop-up.
To use the Bookmark Results option, do the following:
- Once the Bookmark Results option is visible within the table view page, there will be a series of links available.
- The QueryBank link within the dialog box will allow access to the QueryBank page.
- The Add link within this dialog box will allow bookmarking of the current results displayed within the table view.
- You can define a title or nickname to the bookmarked export result as well as check the Global setting if merchants wish give access to bookmarked results to anyone who has access to the Admin Area.
Any bookmarked result will appear as a link within the dialog box.
Clicking on this link will display the results within the table view page. Next to each bookmarked result link will be a pencil icon. Clicking on this icon will load the query that generated the bookmarked result into the QueryBank edit page.
The actual SQL query related to the bookmarked result can be edited on this page. Note that these options are intended for advanced users only.
For more information on the QueryBank functions within Volusion, please see Import / Export.
Clicking this option will hide your Admin Area's navigational elements. Only the links to these special tools and the table view portion of the page will be visible after enabling this option. Clicking the Hide Navigation link again will restore the table view page to its default setting.
These special tools are designed to be used primarily by advanced users. The options are available in multiple locations within your Admin Area and can grant considerable power over portions of your store's database.