Shoppers love saving. 👛 💕 They also love the anticipation of what special offers are coming next. Scratch both of their itches by offering a Deal of the Day, which you can advertise on your site and through cost-effective marketing efforts like emails and social media.
Enabling The Deal Of The Day Feature
When are you’re ready to start offering a Deal of the Day on your storefront, you will need to turn the feature on and configure some basic settings. Here’s how:
- Log in to your Admin Area and go to Marketing > Deal of the Day.
- Click the three-dot actions menu icon and select Deal of the Day Settings.
- In the Change All Deals of the Day Settings window, select the Enable Deal of the Day check box.
- If you want to display the stock status for applicable products, select Show Stock Status for Applicable Products*.
- Select the navigation menu in which you want to display the Deal of the Day link. If you prefer to only send links to the Deal of the Day page in emails or social media, you can leave this value as Hidden.
- If you want to change the text of the menu link to the Deal of the Day page, edit the Link Text field as you like.
- If you want to customize the message that displays on the Deal of the Day page when no deals are available or when the feature is turned off, edit the No Deals Message field as you like.
- Save your settings
*Applicable products are those with a value entered in the Stock Status field and with the Do Not Allow Backorders checkbox enabled. You can find these settings in the Advanced Info section of the product edit page by clicking the Stock tab.
To publish your Deal of the Day immediately, select the Publish My Theme After Saving checkbox that displays in the settings window. This way, as soon as you click the Save button, your changes will be live on your storefront. Your storefront Deal of the Day link won't display until you publish your changes.
Let’s Make A Deal
To create your Deal of the Day:
- At Marketing > Deal of the Day, click Add.
- Find the product you want to create a deal for by using the search field, keeping in mind that some products don't qualify for use with the feature. (See the product restrictions list below for details.)
- Enter the Deal Price.
- Enter the Headline for this deal. If you want to style the headline with HTML or graphics, click the HTML Editor icon at the left end of the toolbar, above the field.
- Select either Product Description Short or Custom Description from the Description drop-down menu. If you select Product Description Short, the deal page will use the content that’s found in the Product Description Short field on the product edit page (found via Advanced Info > Product Descriptions). If you select Custom Description, you must enter a new description that applies only to the Deal of the Day page. You can use the HTML Editor here, too.
- Select beginning and end dates for the deal. Note that the times of the start and end dates are 12:00:00 a.m. and 11:59:59 p.m., respectively. These times correspond to your store's timezone setting at Settings > Company. Once you select the dates, the number of days scheduled for the deal displays in bold on the deal edit page.
- Click Save.
Editing the Deal of the Day Text
You can edit the items on your Deal of the Day page using the Storefront Editor, or by going to Design > Site Content > Page Text (from the Article Group menu) > Deal of the Day (from the Categories menu). Here, you can edit the page text using ID numbers 806 - 817, as appropriate.
Restrictions are so, well, restricting. All the same, we thought you should know that a product does not qualify for the Deal of the Day (and will result in an invalid deal) if any of the following conditions apply:
- It has been deleted between the creation of the deal and the day the deal is scheduled to begin
- It has been configured with one or more child products
- The Parent Product Code field contains a value (Advanced Info > Misc)
- The Private Section Customer Only check box is selected (Advanced Info > Product Display)
- The Setup Price field contains a value (Advanced Info > Pricing)
- The Recurring Price field contains a value (Advanced Info > Recurring Pricing)
- The Hide Product check box is selected (Advanced Info > Product Display)
- The Hide Product When Out Of Stock check box is selected (Advanced Info > Product Display)
- The Min Qty field contains a value (Advanced Info > Misc)
- The Allow Price Edit check box is selected (Advanced Info > Misc)
- The AddtoCartBtn Replacement Text field contains text (Advanced Info > Product Display)
- The Enable Options Inventory Control check box is selected (Basic Info for products with options)
⚠️ Heads up: The Deal of the Day feature is also not compatible with members-only purchasing and browsing settings.
Temporary products display in your Deal of the Day product search field regardless of their current status, and there are no restrictions against setting up deals using them. However, if the Display Begin Date (Advanced Info > Product Display) is in the future, any deals using the product won't function correctly until that date arrives, regardless of the deal's beginning date.
The Deal of the Day List
When you've created a deal, it will appear in a list that can be found by going to Marketing > Deal of the Day. Deals are automatically assigned an ID number. By clicking this number, you can edit or delete any Deal of the Day.
If you change the settings of a product used with a deal that render it ineligible for the Deal of the Day feature, you'll see an exclamation mark icon in the ID column.
If you see a message stating Deal of the Day is Disabled, click Enable? to turn the feature on again.
The Storefront Deals Page
Once you’ve created your deals, you need to get the word out to your customers. 📣 Of course, we have you covered! Your site visitors can access the deals page by clicking the Deal of the Day link from the assigned navigation menu.
We also suggest notifying existing customers via email and social media. Simply use this link to drive traffic directly to the deals page: http://yourvolusionstore.com/dealoftheday.asp
Or, to link to an individual deal, you can use the following URL:
In this case, replace “n” with the deal's ID number.
Deal Display Order
When a customer accesses the deal page through a deal-specific link, that deal displays at the top of the list of active deals. Otherwise, active deals will display in order of expiration date, with the soonest date first. If more than one active deal expires on the same day, the deal with the largest percentage of savings displays first. If the savings of more than one deal is also the same, they display alphabetically by product name.
Allow your customers to easily tell all of their friends about your great deals by enabling social media features on your store. Once you do this, the Facebook Like and Share buttons 👍🏻 will display for each product on your storefront Deals Page, so that visitors can post deals to their Facebook pages and other social media accounts. (Free advertising for you! Yay! 🙌)
When a visitor clicks a deal-specific link, one of the following outcomes will occur, depending on the deal status:
- Active Deal: The deal displays at the top of the page, followed by all other active deals in default display order (see above)
- Expired Deal: The product image, current price, and link to the product page display at the top of the deal page, followed by all other active deals in default display order
- Future Deal: A message stating "Deal Not Found" displays at the top of the page, followed by all active deals in default display order
- Invalid Deal: A message stating "Deal Not Found" displays at the top of the page, followed by all active deals in default display order
Promoting Deal of The Day Prices on Product & Category Pages
On your storefront product page, the discounted price (and savings) for any products that are Deals of the Day will be displayed beneath the regular price.
The deal price also displays on the category pages of any category the product belongs to, and any search results pages the product appears on.
Deals of the Day are sure to delight your customers. They’ll anxiously await your special offers and will be quick to jump on great opportunities to buy more from your store. 🛒 👕 🕰️ 👠