Integrating your store with Google Analytics is a simple process that will give you tons of tracking and statistics regarding your store, like incoming web traffic, visitor statistics and more!
Best of all, Google Analytics is totally free! You just need a Google account and, of course, a Volusion store.
Getting Started ⚙️
The first thing you have to do is create a Google Analytics account. Visit www.google.com/analytics and follow these steps:
- Click Create an Account in the top right corner.
- Click the Sign Up button.
- Select Web Site, then select a Tracking Method.
- Set up your Web Property by entering your Website Name, Website URL, Industry Category, and Time Zone.
- Next, enter your Account Name, select your Data Sharing preferences, and click Get Tracking ID.
- Accept the Google Analytics Terms of Service.
- Copy the tracking code provided – you’ll need to paste this code into your Volusion store template.
Installing the Google Analytics Code
- Go to Design > File Editor in your Admin Area.
- In the Shortcuts table on the Live Edit page, click Template_xx.html (where "xx" is the number or name of your Volusion store template).
- In the Live Edit window, look through the first section of your template's code to find the closing head tag marked "</head>". You can also use CTRL+F to search for the term "</head>" on the page.
- Click Save and you're done!
Please be aware that if you are using one of our responsive templates, the steps above are already complete, but the part of the code containing your ID number is generic and must be customized. Look for the following text:
<!-- Google Analytics: change UA-XXXXXXXX-X to be your site's ID. -->
ga('create', 'UA-XXXXXXXX-X', 'auto');
Customize the part in bold above with your own unique ID number.
Mobile Analytics 📱
In addition to tracking sales on your desktop site, you can track sales that come from mobile devices! Handy, right? To do so:
- Go to Settings > Config Variables in your Admin Area.
- Click Search.
- Enter "analytics" in the Name field, then click Search again at the bottom of the page.
- In the field next to Google Analytics Tracking ID, enter your tracking ID. The ID should start with the letters "UA," followed by a series of numerals with hyphens. You can see the ID near the end of the analytics script you pasted in your template file.
- Click Save.
Google Analytics standard tracking implementation allows you to view basic data about your store and customers such as page views, bounce rate and referring sources. However, you can still go bigger!
If you want more in-depth integration, you can set up eCommerce Tracking within your Google Analytics account and on your Volusion store. Want us to handle it for you? Our Marketing Services team offers Google Analytics setup to help you get the data you need!
Your Volusion store is now integrated with your Google Analytics account. Awesome! It might take some time before Google's system updates data obtained from your Volusion store, but soon you'll be able to receive detailed reports and data about your store, visitors, and more! 📂