The ebb and flow of shoppers to your store is an invaluable metric to track. Google Analytics gives you a detailed look at who’s visiting your site, how they’re getting there, what pages they’re viewing, what type of device they're viewing them on, and so much more – and it’s all free.
Google Analytics can be an extremely educational and enlightening tool for helping you improve your site. The more you know about the people visiting your store, the better you can appeal to them.
If you aren't familiar with Google Analytics, take the time to read this great introduction and overview on the Volusion Ecommerce Insights blog. In fact, take the time read it even if you are familiar with Google Analytics – you're bound to pick up a few things you didn't already know.
- Click Create an Account in the top right corner.
- Click the Sign Up button.
- Select Web Site, then select a Tracking Method.
- Set up your Web Property by entering your Website Name, Website URL, Industry Category, and Time Zone.
- Next, enter your Account Name, select your Data Sharing preferences, and click Get Tracking ID.
- Accept the Google Analytics Terms of Service.
- Copy the tracking code provided – you’ll need to paste this code into your Volusion store theme.
Installing the Google Analytics Code
To install the Google Analytics code on your site, go to your Volusion Admin Area and follow these steps:
- Go to Design > File Editor and select your template.html file from the Shortcuts menu on the right.
- Scroll through your theme code to find the closing body tag marked </body>.
- Paste the Google Analytics Java Script code above this tag.
- Click Save.
Note that if you have Mobile Commerce enabled and want to track mobile sales, you'll also need to enter your Google Analytics ID (e.g. UA-XXXXXX-XX) into the Google Analytics Tracking ID config variable.
With Google Analytics installed on your site, you’ll be able to look at your online store from a whole new perspective. Whether you need a bird’s-eye snapshot of your site’s overall performance or a close-up look at a specific metric, Google Analytics will give you the comprehensive data you need to maintain a healthy online presence.