So you’ve got this big, beautiful — but mostly empty — online store. A blank canvas, just waiting to be colored with products your customers will covet. It’s exciting … and maybe a bit overwhelming too. We get it, and that’s why we aim to make it easy. Follow these simple steps for adding products to your store, and you’ll be on your way to Salesville in a snap.
To add a physical product, you only have to enter four pieces of info: Name, Code, Price and Weight.
Here’s how to do it:
- Go to Inventory > Products.
- Click Add.
- Enter the Name, Code, Price and Weight of the product. For the Code, you should assign each product with its own unique combo of letters, numbers, hyphens, underscores and periods.
When you've filled out those four fields, click Save.
That's all it takes to create a new product. Really!
If you want to go the extra two steps to grab shopper attention and persuade them to purchase — which we highly recommend — that’s fast and easy, too. Just make sure you've saved your basic product info before moving on to other fields!
1. Fill out the remaining three fields of on the Basic Info tab
This is your opportunity to “sell” your product. Highlight features and functions that might help shoppers decide to make a purchase. If you want to make your description more easily digestible, you might consider breaking it up into different fields.
This is where you can specify under which categories you want your product to appear. To add a product to a brand new category, click the Create New Category link and check the option at the bottom of the dialog box.
This field can be used to indicate when a product is available in more than one variation, such as different sizes, colors or fabrics.
2. Add images and videos
A picture’s worth a thousand sales. 📸 You can upload multiple images — a main image and alternates — to display details, different angles and the product in use.
- In the Image Management section, click Add.
- Click Browse to locate your main image file on your computer.
- Select the image file you want to use, then click Upload.
- Repeat the process to upload any alternate (additional) images for this product.
- Drag and drop the images to rearrange their order, or to make an alternative image the main image.
- If you need to remove an image, click Delete below it.
Catch your shoppers’ eyes by showing your products in action. 📹 You can display YouTube videos on your store, under the Description tab or below any text.
- In the YouTube Video Management section, click Add.
- Paste the link for the video into the appropriate field.
- In the Caption field, enter some descriptive text that you want to appear below the video.
- Click Add.
A thumbnail image of your video will display in the YouTube Video Management section. You can add up to four videos to this section, then drag and drop the video thumbnails until they're in the order you want them displayed.
To see how the video will appear on the storefront, scroll to the top of the page and click View Live.
To change the URL or caption for a video, return to the YouTube Video Management section of the product editing page and click Edit below the video thumbnail.
It’s really, really easy to add products to your Volusion store. If you want to make them pop, we strongly suggest adding more detailed info, along with photos and videos. This makes it easier for shoppers to find what they’re looking for and helps persuade them to purchase.