Once you've entered the basic information for a product, you can really make it shine by adding more details under the Advanced Info section of each product edit page.
To apply product settings to all products rather than individual products, go to Inventory > Products, click the three-dot actions menu icon, and select All Products Settings. See All Products Settings to learn more. Here are some terms you may want to know when it comes to your product settings!
Part I – Basic Info 💫
- Name (the image that displays on the category page).
- Code (the code by which the product is referenced within Volusion).
- Price (the regular selling price of a product within your store).
- Weight (the product's weight, of course!)
- Description (the main product description).
- Categories (displays the categories and subcategories the product is currently assigned to).
- Options (product options that have been assigned to a product are displayed here).
- Enable Options Inventory Control Grid (when activated, this will create child products for each combination of product options).
Part II – Advanced Info 🤓
Search Engine Optimization
- Product URL Text (a shortened version of the product name).
- Photo Alt Text (search engines index each product page's main image using the text in this field).
- Meta Tag Title (a meta tag for a product name that allows search engines to better index the product).
- Meta Tag Description ( short description of the product that can be easily indexed by search engines).
- Meta Tag Keywords (specific product keywords that you want to be indexed by search engines).
- Meta Tags Override (for pro use only: HTML meta information can be entered into this field to create custom meta tags).
- List Price (displays above the Product Price to emphasize that you are offering this product at a low price).
- Sale Price (an additional price field to show a product is being sold at a sale price).
- Require Action for Sale Price (Options under this drop-down menu replace the Sale Price of a product with a message informing customers that they need to take a specific action in order to receive the sale price.)
- Setup Cost (can be added to the price of a product).
- Setup Cost Title (the label for the Setup Cost field that displays on the checkout page, on invoices, and on packing slips).
- Gift Wrap Cost (the cost that will be charged for gift wrapping a product).
- Taxable Product (select Y (yes) or N (no) as appropriate to configure a product as taxable or tax-free).
- VAT Percentage (if a product needs to be assigned a special Value Added Tax rate, enter it here).
- Free Shipping Item (enable to make a product eligible for free shipping within your store).
- Availability (allows you to select an availability message for the product).
- Estimated Days to Ship (the estimated number of days it will take you to ship this product).
- Fixed Shipping Cost (a fixed cost to be charged in addition to the shipping cost for a product – for example, a handling charge).
- Fixed Shipping Cost (Outside Local Region) (enter a cost to be applied to a product if the shipping location is not the local region configured during your store's initial setup).
- Warehouse ID(s) (associate/remove warehouses for a product to calculate shipping charges from warehouses or fulfillment centers other than your store's Ship From Location)
- Warehouse Location (a warehouse location to be displayed next to a product on the printable packing slip).
- Aisle (an aisle location to be displayed next to a product on the printable packing slip).
- Bin (a bin name or number to be displayed next to a product on the printable packing slip).
- Custom (additional warehouse location information to be displayed next to a product on the printable packing slip).
- Ships By Itself (calculate shipping for a product using live rates separately from any other products being ordered).
Product Descriptions ✍️
The Product Descriptions tab lets you configure text for the product page in addition to the Description in Basic Info.
- Product Description Short (a shortened description of the product to be displayed on category and search results pages).
- Features, Technical Specs, Extended Information (let you add text or HTML to a tabbed section to your product page beneath the product description for displaying additional information).
- Product Description Above Pricing (display text, HTML, or images above the pricing area on the product page).
- Photo Caption Text (display a comment or sub-heading below the main product photo on a product page).
- Hide Product (This option is only available for each product if you've selected Enable Hide Product under Settings > Config Variables. When a product is hidden, customers cannot navigate to it in your store.)
- Hide When Out Of Stock (This option is only available for each product if you've selected Enable Hide Product under Settings > Config Variables. If enabled, a product will automatically be hidden when its Stock Status goes below 1.)
- Display Begin Date (This option is only available for each product if you've selected Enable Temporary Products at All Products Settings. You can enter a specific date here to hide the product until the selected date.)
- Display End Date (This option is only available for each product if you've selected Enable Temporary Products under Settings > Config Variables. You can enter a specific date here to hide the product when the selected date is reached.)
- List Price Name (rename the List Price label by entering an alternate name here).
- Product Price Name (rename the product's main Price label by entering an alternate name here).
- Sale Price Name (rename the Sale Price label by entering an alternate name here).
- Setup Cost Name (rename the Setup Cost label by entering an alternate name here).
- Hide You Save (check this box if you have enabled Show You Save Amount setting for all products but want to hide it for this specific product).
- "Add to Cart" Button Replacement Text (Use this field to replace the Add to Cart button on the product page with new text).
- Order Finished Note (create a custom message in plain text or HTML for a product that will be displayed to customers once they have completed the checkout process and submitted their order).
- Enable Multi Child Add To Cart (if enabled, any product with child products will display them in table format on the product page).
- Price Sub Text (enter text or HTML to display as a subheader for the main product price).
- Price Sub Text Short (enter text or HTML to display as subheader for auxiliary product prices).
- Feature Product on the Homepage (select a special product group from this drop-down menu to display assigned products in the applicable area on your homepage).
- Private Section Customers Only (if enabled, only customers who have Allow Access To Private Sections enabled will be able to access private section products).
- Use Same Photos As ProductCode (an existing product code can be entered here if you want this product to use the same images).
- Use Same Options As ProductCode (an existing product code can be entered here to apply that product's associated options to this product).
- Set Default Option (if you have options set up for this product, this field lets you set one or more as defaults).
- Photo URL Small (enter an absolute or relative URL of an image to be used as the main product image).
- Photo URL Large (enter an absolute or relative URL of an image to be used as the large product photo).
- Manufacturer (enter the name of the manufacturer for this product).
- Product Popularity (a numerical value to show the popularity of this product).
- Min. Order Quantity (This field only appears if you've enabled Enable Minimum Order Quantity For Product Pages under Settings > Config Variables. If a product has a minimum quantity purchase requirement, enter it here.)
- Max Qty (This field only appears if you've enabled Enable Maximum Order Quantity For Product Pages under Settings > Config Variables. If a product has a maximum quantity purchase limit, enter it here.)
- Add Accessory(s) (This field only appears if you've enabled Enable Products as Accessories under Settings > Config Variables. If you want to display a set of additional products within a Related Products section on this product page, enter their product codes separated with commas.)
- Include Free Accessory(s) (This field only appears if you've selected Enable Products as Accessories under Settings > Config Variables. You can add free accessories to a product, or create a bundle or kit, by entering the product codes here. Product codes entered here must be separated by commas.)
- Hide Free Accessories (enabling this option will hide the display of free accessories on the product page).
- Additional Product Keyword(s) (apply additional keywords to a product for use with Search).
- Allow Price Edit (If you've enabled Enable Price Edit under Settings > Config Variables, customers can edit the price of a product (e.g. gift certificate products, charitable donations, or other products where customers can specify the product price to be applied.)
- Uses Product Key Type(s) (if this product has an associated product key, enter the product key type here).
- Download File Name (the name of the file customers download once they purchase a downloadable product).
- Reward Points Given for Purchase (if you use MyRewards, enter the number of points customers earn when purchasing a specific product).
- Affiliate Commissionable Value (the commission to be applied to the affiliate responsible for this sale, if applicable).
- Mark as Child Product of (if a product is the child of an existing product, enter the parent code here).
Third-Party Integrations 🌵
- Shopping.com Category (this drop-down field allows you to assign a category to a product if you intend to export products from Volusion into Shopping.com).
- Yahoo! Shopping Category (define categories for a product to be reported in the Yahoo! Merchant Feed).
- Yahoo! Shopping Medium (enter values to define a medium type for your product if you intend to export the product for inclusion in the Yahoo! Shopping system).
- Estimated Shipping - Ground (define a shipping charge for use with a third-party ecommerce system).
- Estimated Shipping - 2nd Day (define a shipping charge for use with a third-party ecommerce system).
- Estimated Shipping - Overnight (define a shipping charge for use with a third-party ecommerce system).
- Product Condition (enter a value for product condition if you intend to integrate products with third-party services, like eBay).
- Google Product Type (enter the category of this product according to your taxonomy).
- Google Product Category (enter the category of this product according to Google's product taxonomy).
- Google Unique Product (select False if a Google Unique Product Identifier does not exist for this product).
- Google Size (the size of this product).
- Google Color (the color for this product).
- Google Gender (the gender this product is intended for).
- Google Age Group (the age group this product is intended for).
- Google Adult Product (select True if your product is considered "adult" or "non-family safe" according to Google's Family Status policy).
- Google Availability (select the availability for this product).
- Google Pattern (enter the pattern for this product).
- Google Material (enter the material for this product).
- Quickbooks Item Accnt (If you’re using QuickBooks integration and want a specific product to report to a different item account than the one defined in your QuickBooks mapping, you can enter the specific income account name here.)
- Quickbooks Item Asset Accnt (If you’re using QuickBooks integration and want a specific product to report to a different asset account than the one defined in your QuickBooks mapping, you can enter the specific asset account name here.)
- Quickbooks Item COGS Accnt (If you’re using QuickBooks integration and want a specific product to report to a different COGS account than the one defined in your QuickBooks mapping, you can enter the specific COGS account name here.)
- CustomFields 1 - 5 (provide additional custom content for products that will display below the product price).
- Recurring Pricing Text (descriptive text that explains the recurring pricing details).
- Recurring Price (the normal recurring price a customer is charged every recurring payment period).
- Promotional Starting Price (an optional introductory price).
- Recurring Frequency (in Months) (the frequency, in months, with which the customer will be billed).
- Starting Price Duration (in Months) (if using a Promotional Starting Price, this field indicates the length of time this period lasts).
- Recurring Duration (months) (the number of months a recurring billing process will last for this product).
Pricing Levels 📈
- Discounted Price Levels 1-5 (discounted prices that are given to specific customers in place of the regular product price).
- Discounted Setup Cost Level 1-5 (allows you to configure up to 5 different setup cost levels that can be given to customers who have been granted access to one of the 5 different discount pricing levels within their customer account).
- Recurring Price Levels 1-5 (affect the Recurring Price customers pay for products set up with recurring payment options).
- Stock Status (manually increase [by entering a positive quantity] or decrease [by entering a negative quantity] the stock quantity of a product).
- Do Not Allow Back Orders ( if this option is enabled, the product will not allow additional orders to be made once the stock value has reached zero).
- Stock Low Qty Alarm (track products that may soon be out of stock).
- Stock Re-Order Qty (the quantity of a product that you would like to re-order when processing purchase orders through the Low Inventory filter view of the Products table).
- Link Stock Status with ProductCode (enter another product's code to have this product's stock status shared with that product to link product stock from one product to another).
- Verify Qty On-Hand (Internal Use) (the exact quantity of a product on hand if you need to track a discrepancy in product stock)
- Qty Last Verified (the date that the inventory for a product was last verified or updated).
- Auto Drop Ship (use third-party fulfillment centers or sell products to customers directly from vendors).
- Vendor Part # (the vendor's part number or product code for a product when it’s entered into a purchase order).
- Vendor Price (the price of a product from the vendor used to calculate COGS and profit margins).
- Book ISBN (an ISBN is a unique Global Trade Item Number used to identify books and publications).
- UPC code (a UPC (Universal Product Code) is a unique Global Trade Item Number used to identify non-book products in North America).
- EAN Code (an EAN is a unique 13-digit Global Trade Item Number for identifying non-book products in Europe).
- Add To PO Now (Any product that has values in the Stock Low Qty Alarm and Stock Re-Order Qty fields has a stock value that is equal to or less than the low stock alarm value is automatically listed in the Queued for PO filter view of the Products table at Inventory > Products. The Queued for PO view can then be used to quickly generate purchase orders to replenish product stock.)
- Last PO Qty (when a product PO is created, this display-only field will show the quantity of the product ordered on the PO).
- Last PO Date (when a product PO is created, this display-only field will show the date the PO was sent to the vendor).
- ProductID (a sequentially assigned ID number given to each product to help track products within your database).
Each entry in the Products table can be customized with a wide variety of settings to offer equally numerous types of products and services to your customers. This glossary should give you all the info you need to get your settings straight!