Google Customer Reviews is a free tool that helps you collect feedback from your shoppers. The ratings that your customers provide will feed into your seller rating, which appears on Search Ads, in Google Shopping, and on an optional badge that you can display on your website. For more information, check out Google's own explanation of the program.
To begin using Google Customer Reviews, you'll need to have a Google Merchant Center account.
Google Merchant Center Account Setup
If this is your first time signing up for a Google Merchant Center account, you'll be prompted to do the following:
- Enter Basic Information: This includes your Company Name, Website Address, and other applicable information.
- Agree to Terms of Service: Read through the terms and check the box indicating you agree to them.
- Verify Your Domain: Volusion recommends using the HTML Tag method listed under Alternative Methods.
If you already have a Google Merchant Center account, make sure you've already completed the Basic Information section and verified your domain before proceeding.
Enabling Google Customer Reviews
Before you can use Google Customer Review in your Volusion store, you'll need to enable the program in Google Merchant Center:
- From the drop-down menu in the upper-right corner of Google Merchant Center, select Merchant Center Programs.
- Locate Customer Reviews and click Enable.
- Check the confirmation box that appears, then click Save & Continue.
Enabling Google Customer Reviews in Volusion
- From your Admin Area, go to Marketing > Google Customer Reviews
- Enter the required information, then check the box to Enable Google Customer Reviews.
- Enter your Google Merchant Account Number. You can find this number in the upper left hand of your Google Merchant Account page.
- Select the Merchant Country – the country from which your business operates. Please note that this list contains all of the countries that the Google Customer Reviews Program currently supports. This limitation is set by Google. If you don't see your country in the list, Google doesn't yet support the program in that country.
- Select the Site Language, the language that is predominantly used on your website. Please note this list contains all of the languages that the Google Customer Reviews Program currently supports. This limitation is set by Google.
- Enter the Estimated Days to Ship value. This value represents the estimated number of days that it takes your business to ship an order once it has been received. This value is only used if none of the products in an order on your Volusion store have an Estimated Days to Ship value (Inventory > Products > select a product > Advanced Info > Shipping > Estimated Days to Ship).
- Enter the Estimated Transit Days value. This value represents the maximum number of days an item will be in transit after shipping. This value is only used if the shipping method selected by your customer does not have an Estimated Transit Days value within your Volusion store (Settings > Shipping > select a shipping method > Advanced Settings > Estimated Transit Days).
- Next to Orders After This Time … Will Be Processed The Next Day, select a time when you will stop processing orders for the day. This is the local time per the Time Zone entered under Settings > Company. Any orders that come in after this time will be considered as coming in the following business day when estimating the delivery date.
- If you don't process or ship any orders on Saturdays, Sundays, or both, be sure to select the appropriate options for I do not work on Saturday and I do not work on Sunday.
- Set the Review Display Position – the area on the page that displays a message to your customers after checkout, asking them to take a survey.
- Set the Badge Display Position – the area on your website (all pages) where the Google Customer Review Badge will be displayed*. Displaying this badge is optional; if you don't want the badge to appear on your website, select Do Not Display Badge.
*Note that until you receive 150 reviews, your badge displays a "No Rating Available" message. Once you've received 150 survey reviews or more from customers, your badge will display your average rating out of five stars.
Google Customer Reviews requires all pages on your store to be HTML5 compliant. You may find that some of our older themes are not HTML5 compliant, and this may also be true of any custom themes created by 3rd parties. You may see a message about this issue when enabling Google Customer Reviews, changing your currently active theme, or editing your Template.html file. If you see an error message, it means that Google Customer Reviews has been deactivated and can't be reenabled until the issue is resolved.
Google Customer Reviews requires your store to operate on the HTTPS (secure) protocol and you must have a valid SSL Certificate. If your store is not set to use HTTPS, then you will be presented with the following message:
- To resolve this, go to Settings > Config Variables and click Search.
- In the Name field, type the word "secure", then click Search.
- Find the Full Secure Store URL variable in the search results; the field should start with "https://" instead of "http://".
- If you need to make any changes to this field, be sure to click Save when finished.
If you don't have an SSL Certificate installed on your store, you'll still be able to enable Google Customer Reviews in your Admin Area; however, customers won't see a survey request until your SSL Certificate is installed.
Customers Outside of Supported Regions
At this time, Google only offers the Google Customer Review program for shipments going to specific countries. The list of supported countries is the same as the list found under Marketing > Google Customer Reviews > Merchant Country. If an order requires shipping to a country that isn't on that list, the customer who placed the order will not be asked to take a survey.
- At this time, Google Customer Reviews is unavailable for customers using mobile browsers. Customers using a desktop browser will see the associated badge and survey opt-in.
- If you have multiple Volusion stores, the Google Merchant Acct. No. that you enter at Marketing > Google Customer Reviews must be unique for each store. At this time, it isn't possible to use the same Google Merchant Account to run Google Customer Reviews on two different stores. If you have multiple Google Merchant Accounts for separate websites, you can enable Google Customer Reviews for each corresponding store.
- Google's setup steps for Google Customer Reviews suggests adding scripts to your order finished page (to prompt a post-purchase survey) and any pages you want your Google Customer Reviews badge to appear on. These steps aren't necessary for Volusion store owners, as our integration already adds these scripts when settings are properly configured.
- The Orders After This Time field at Marketing > Google Customer Reviews automatically uses your store's timezone as configured at Settings > Company.